The Condor Techs program brings science, engineering, and mathematics college students from Oxnard college to the UC Santa Barbara campus for a two week science intensive program with hands-on experience in a dynamic research environment. The students chosen for the program work with graduate student researchers in UCSB science and engineering laboratories, gaining first-hand experience in how scientific research is conducted as well as guidance for research based careers. They will also gain experience in preparing and presenting talks to disseminate their research findings and network with science, engineering, and mathematics researchers through social, academic, and professional development activities.
Program Activities & Career Exploration
- Work in a team on an introductory research project in Nanotechnology, Bioengineering, Materials, Energy Efficiency, or Drug Design
- Network with University Faculty and Scientists
- Tours of UCSB Major Instrumentation Labs
- Mentoring and advising by UCSB faculty, graduate and undergraduate students and staff.
- Identifying strategies for transfer and academic success at the University
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Technical Training
- Leadership and teamwork
- Science Communication - design and delivery of an oral scientific presentation
Summer Program Details
- Transportation provided from Oxnard College to UC Santa Barbara daily.
- All meals provided in University dining halls
- Intern Stipend of $750
- Students are required to attend and actively participate in the entire program.